The Chattanooga Times Free Press reports:
Former Tennessee Walking Horse trainer Jackie McConnell has been indicted by a Fayette County grand jury on 22 counts of animal cruelty related to alleged horse soring actions.
McConnell pleaded guilty last year to similar charges for the same actions in federal court here after Humane Society investigators captured video footage of him abusing horses and federal agents later alleged that he and two co-defendants transported the horses for a show in Shelbyville, Tenn.
McConnell was sentenced to three years probation and a $75,000 fine for the local federal case.
McConnell’s co-defendants in the federal case, John Mays and Jeff Dockery, also pleaded guilty to violations of the federal Horse Protection Act.
– Roy Exum: Finally a day of reckoning but a sad verdict; Tuesday’s Horse; Sept 21, 2012
– Tennessee Walking Horse abuser McConnell gets probation and a fine; Tuesday’s Horse; Sept 18, 2012
– Soring: Prosecutors say horse protection law lacks teeth; Tuesday’s Horse; Sept 9, 2012
– Judge reschedules McConnell sentencing to Sept 18 in horse soring case; Tuesday’s Horse; Aug 29, 2012
– Defendant in horse soring case gets probation; Tuesday’s Horse; Aug 7, 2012
– Tennessee Walking Horse trainer caught on video abusing horses offered probation in plea deal; Tuesday’s Horse; May 22, 2012
Could they be related? In their contempt for horses they are. See below.
– Senator threatened USDA over horse inspections (Ky); Tuesday’s Horse; Sept 9, 2008
– McConnell opposed USDA inspectors of sored horses (Ky);
Mitch and Jackie McConnell may not be related as in “kin”, but check this out from the sainted (by us and others) Roy Exum:
The top two equine veterinary groups in the United States have openly called on the nation’s lawmakers to ban the built-up pads, or stacks, that shady Walking Horse owners use, as well as performance devices and tight bands around the hooves. Legislation is pending but the “Big Lick” crowd is fighting back. Not long ago they held a reception for a disreputable Senator from Kentucky, Mitch McConnell (not believed to be kin to Jackie).
The Kentucky senator has bullied the USDA to “lay off” the Shelbyville “Big Lick” crowd and was the subject of a scathing series in the Lexington newspaper this summer. But, just like the defiant and now-battered Big Lick hierarchy, the Republican Senator doesn’t seem to realize or even care he is a “bought” puppet of treacherous people.