by ELIZABETH FOREL
COALITION TO BAN HORSE-DRAWN CARRIAGES
Enough is Enough! He promised to ban horse-drawn carriages when he got into office. Many people voted for him because of this. We were delighted that we finally seemed to have a kindred spirit in our new mayor. But here it is 10 months since Mayor deBlasio was elected and he has not kept that promise.
The horse-drawn carriage trade continues with all of its inhumanity, its many accidents; lack of meaningful law enforcement, lack of safety – made stronger by the lies perpetrated by the NY Daily News, Teamsters and Working Families Party – lies that go unchallenged by the Mayor’s office. We have been very patient, waiting for some action. But nothing has happened and we have reached our breaking point. We say enough is enough.
Please stand up for these exploited carriage horses and join the Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages for a peaceful focused rally outside Gracie Mansion, the symbol of mayoral power in NYC.
• WHEN: Tuesday evening August 26, 2014 6:30 — 8:00 pm
• WHERE: East 88th St. and East End Avenue at Gracie Mansion*
We will let Mayor deBlasio know that we are very disappointed that he has not kept his promise. Our presence should remind him that we are the people who helped put him in office. We still hope the mayor will take action and do what he promised.
PLEASE CALL THE CITY COUNCIL
If you have not already called, please take the time to do so this coming week. Your Council Member needs to know how their constituents feel about this issue.
Eight and one half months into the deBlasio administration and we are no closer to shutting down the inhumane and unsafe carriage trade than we were one year ago. All we have are empty promises. Please contact your council member and ask him or her to support a bill to ban horse-drawn carriages.
CALL THEM. Do not e-mail or fax. These methods of communication are likely to be deleted. Calls have much more impact and are less likely to be forgotten.
• FIND NYC COUNCIL MEMBERS
Go to http://www.council.nyc.gov/html/members/members.shtml
Plug in your address to find out who your Council Member is.
Look for the telephone number for the District Office.
• SUGGESTED SCRIPT – YOU: Good morning, my name is [your name] and I am a constituent. I live on [your address] I support an unconditional ban on horse-drawn carriages and I would like to know what [your Council Member’s name] position is on this issue. You might also tell them it is a public safety issue and it is inhumane. If you live outside of NYC, call Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito’s office and tell them were you live.
• COUNCIL OFFICE: the person who answers the phone may transfer you to someone else or suggest you call the Legislative Office or actually take the message.
• YOU: If they support a ban – thank them; If they are on the fence ask them why and if they would be open to receiving some links to articles. If they are against the ban – ask them why and if they would be open to receiving some links to articles.
• IMPORTANT: If they say they would be willing to receive some information, ask them for the e-mail address of a specific person – maybe the Chief of Staff, maybe the Legislative Aide. Do not agree to send it to their office e-mail. You can say that you want to be sure someone receives it.
Note: If the Council Office is not able to give you an answer, tell them that you will follow up in a week. Tell them this is a very important issue and you would like an answer. And follow up.
TWEET FOR NYC CARRIAGE HORSES
Join the rally on Twitter by tweeting your message of support @NYCMayorsOffice
* The Gracie Mansion is the official residence of the Mayor of New York City located in Carl Schurz Park at East End Avenue and East 88th Street on the City’s Upper East Side.
Subway Directions: Subway: 4, 5, 6 to 86th Street; then transfer to M86 to York Avenue. Walk one avenue east to East End Avenue, then north two blocks.
Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages
Horses Without Carriages International
No Walk in the Park – Facebook
@BanHDCarriages – Twitter