In our mission to help horses and foals used and cast off by the pregnant mare’s urine industry that make drugs like Premarin cream and tablets, we urge women to shun them and the cruelty that goes with them, and find an alternative to ease menopausal symptoms.
So, how about a icy cool rhubarb granita? A granita, just in case you don’t know, is an Italian-style flavored drink featuring crushed ice.
Oh, and never, ever eat the leaves of a rhubarb plant. Chop rhubarb leaves off straight away and get rid of them.
1 large bunch of rhubarb
1-2 lemons, juiced and zested
Hibiscus flower petals
Coconut sugar, to taste
2 cups of water
- Boil water in a pot. Peel the rhubarb, cut it into pieces, and add it to the water.
- Add the zest and lemon juice and a few hibiscus petals. Add the birch sugar to taste. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Strain the sauce through a fine sieve, squeezing all the juice through, and remove the pulp.
Pour the rhubarb syrup into a bag and freeze it.
- Once frozen break the juice into pieces place these into a blender and mix it until you have the consistency of frozen snow.
- Place this into a container and store it in the freezer.