For InstantPot or Saucepan
Hello and welcome to our website. When it comes to food, we love two things around here — Vegan recipes and InstantPot recipes. Oh, wait, make that three things — Vegan Richa’s vegan InstantPot recipes.
Soups are great anytime of the year. Vivian’s most favourite of all soups is lentil. I believe she would happily run in front of a fast travelling freight train to get to a bowl. Thankfully she doesn’t have to. She can make a batch with the information we’re giving you right here.
If you’ve been with us before, you know that we provide you with the ingredients so you can see what sort of shopping you might have to do to make it; then send you over to the recipe’s originating website for directions.
Before we get going, here’s a tutorial on lentils by Ms Hingle:
- Lentils are not all same: There are Indian Brown (might also be labelled as unskinned/whole red lentils, Sabut Masoor(hindi)), Spanish Brown, Green, Puy, beluga, yellow, red (quick cooking lentils, don’t use these in this recipe) etc. I usually use brown lentils as I prefer their texture and flavor. Green and other lentils will work as well. Green lentils might need additional 2 mins in the InstantPot and 10 mins in saucepan.
- Age of the lentils also can interfere in the time needed to cook them to your preferred doneness. Add more time if they dont get done enough, reduce the time a bit if they cook too soft in the given time.
- Mash some of the lentils with a spatula, blend some for a thicker soup, or add some coconut milk in the end for creamier.
- To double, double everything except heat and water. Use a bit less than double for both. So 4.5 cups water/broth for 1.5 cups lentils.
Richa’s Lentil Soup Ingredients
- 1/4 cup (58.75 ml) broth or water ,or use 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 (0.5 ) onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic ,finely chopped
- 1/2 inch (0.5 inch) ginger ,finely chopped
- 1 hot green chili , finely chopped (optional), use mild or bell pepper for less heat
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground cumin or ground coriander or both
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) turmeric
- 1/2 to 1 tsp garam masala or curry powder or ethiopian berbere, or just use more of cumin or coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or rosemary (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) black pepper
- 15 oz diced tomatoes , or 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup (96 g) sliced carrots , or other veggies
- 3/4 cup (144 g) lentils or a mix of brown/green lentils, green mung beans, black eyed peas (check for debris, wash and soak for 10 mins if needed)
- 2.5 cups (587.5 ml) veggie broth or water , 3 cups for saucepan
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) salt , less or more depending on if the veggie broth is salted
- 2 cups (2.82 oz) spinach or chopped quick cooking greens
- cayenne and lemon/lime juice to taste
- pepper flakes for garnish
— Go here for further information and directions »
InstaPot Lasagna Soup
This recipe is also divine. Lasagna Soup? Oh yeah.
Thank you Richa Hingle, the genius behind Vegan Richa — “Eating plants still we photosynthesize”.
Shop InstaPots with Amazon
Shop InstaPots with Amazon at this link. Your purchase will benefit the Fund for Horses.
“Advocate From Your Plate™” by Vivian Farrell, Founding President of the Fund for Horses (f4H and If4H).
FEATURED IMAGE: VEGAN RICHA WEBSITE
1 thought on “Vegan Richa Lentil Soup recipe”