Raw, ground walnuts add a meaty texture and pair perfectly with the spices and sweet potatoes in these flautas.
SOURCE: VEG NEWS
by BAILEY RUSKUS | 29th July 2021 | SERVES 4
What you need
For the avocado salsa verde:
8 medium tomatillos, peeled and cut in half
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems
2 scallions, coarsely chopped
1 medium jalapeño, deseeded
3 cloves garlic, peeled
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 medium avocado, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
For the flautas:
3 cups coarsely chopped sweet potatoes
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup ground walnuts
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon granulated garlic
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
10 corn tortillas
2 tablespoons avocado oil
Vegan sour cream, for garnish
Finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Thinly sliced jalapeño, for garnish
Lime wedges, for garnish
What you do
- For the salsa verde, into a blender, add tomatillos, cilantro, scallions, jalapeño, garlic, lime juice, avocado, and salt. Pulse 10 to 15 times until smooth, then transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- For the flautas, into a medium pot, add 1-inch of water and insert a steamer basket. Place sweet potatoes in basket. Set pot over medium-low heat, cover, and bring to a boil. Steam potatoes for about 10 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add beans, walnuts, salt, pepper, garlic, coriander, smoked paprika, and chipotle powder. Mash with a fork until well combined and all spices are evenly incorporated. Set aside.
- In a dry small sauté pan, warm tortillas for 30 seconds on each side. Transfer each warmed tortilla to a tortilla warmer or bowl covered with a kitchen towel, to steam and soften before rolling.
- Into center of a tortilla, scoop ½ cup of filling. Roll tortilla over mixture. Repeat with remaining filling and tortillas. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add flautas to pan with seam side down. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, turning as needed to ensure cooked evenly and golden brown and crispy on all sides.
- Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, jalapeños, and lime wedges, and serve with avocado salsa verde.
Featured Image: VegNews.com.
TUESDAY’S HORSE © FUND FOR HORSES