Ointment or Injection?
Day 4 of the Hearing took place Thursday, 25th August 2022. Here is a bit about it.
The focal point in the fourth day of testimony at Bob Baffert’s appeal before before the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission (KHRC) was the debate over whether or not Medina Spirit’s 2021 GI Kentucky Derby disqualification for betamethasone was the result of an injection or the application of an ointment.
This argument has percolated for the better part of 16 months in various hearing and courtroom settings.
It is now being brought up again in front of the KHRC hearing officer to adjudicate the Hall of Fame trainer’s attempt to expunge from his record a 90-day suspension (already served) for the infraction. The appeal also seeks to reverse the KHRC’s disqualification of Medina Spirit from the Derby.
The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission called its final witnesses during the fourth day. Attorneys for the KHRC called three witnesses on Thursday: Dr. Scott Stanley, the director of an equine testing laboratory at the University of Kentucky; Dr. Ben Moeller, an analytical chemist at the drug-testing laboratory at UC-Davis; and Dr. Mary Scollay, an expert in equine pharmacology who is the executive director of the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium.
After the three testified, the attorneys indicated that they had no more witnesses to call, according to an attorney involved in the case.
All Hearing Links
• Baffert/Medina Spirit Doping Appeal Hearing Day 1, Horse Racing Nation, 22nd Aug 2022 »
• Baffert/Medina Spirit Doping Appeal Hearing Day 2, Horse Racing Nation, 23rd Aug 2022 »
• Baffert/Medina Spirit Doping Appeal Hearing Day 3, Horse Racing Nation, 24th Aug 2022 »
• Baffert/Medina Spirit Doping Appeal Hearing Day 4, Horse Racing Nation, 25th Aug 2022
Source: Horse Racing Nation »
• Getting down to the science of it all in Medina Spirit DQ Appeal, Thoroughbred Daily News, 24th August 2022 »
• Lexington artist creates Medina Spirit sculpture at Old Friends Farm, Spectrum News 1, 23rd August 2022 »
• Racing still mourns the ill-fated Kentucky Derby Winner Medina Spirit, 6th May 2020, New York Times, by Joe Drape »
• Medina Spirit, disputed Derby winner dragged down by positive drug test, dies after workout, Washington Post, 6th December 2021 »
Updated 4:45 pm EST
Official Blog of The Fund for Horses