It’s National Horse Day. National Horse Day is celebrated every December 13.
Horses have woven themselves into the fabric of American life. Civilization was built on the back of a horse. December 13 is a day to acknowledge and express gratitude for the economic, historic, and cultural contributions that horses have made.
Equine enthusiasts across the country will get together on December 13 to show their appreciation for these majestic creatures. Whether you’re a seasoned rider or have never been on a horse in your life, check out some ways you can recognize the day.
How to Celebrate
• Go for a horseback ride. Whether you are an avid equestrian or a horse novice, take a ride to celebrate National Horse Day.
• Watch a horse movie, such as “Seabiscuit,” “Black Beauty,” “National Velvet.” And that’s just the beginning.
• Donate to an equine charity. Lots of organizations are dedicated to helping horses. Do some research and find out how you can help.
History of National Horse Day
In 2004, Congress designated December 13 as National Horse Day and, since then, Americans have been taking the day to celebrate and appreciate the role of the horse in not only helping our country become what it is today, but also the horse’s current role in the modern era.
After the primitive Native American horses died out between 13,000 and 11,000 years ago, today’s wild-horse species were reintroduced to America by European colonists in the late 1400s. They’ve since flourished in the great plains and mountainous west, where wild herds’ thunderous hooves are still heard to this day.
While the history of horse day may be new to the millennium, horses themselves have always been intrinsic to the lives of many Americans.
Why a National Horse Day
• Horses have been our companions for thousands of years. Humans have bonded with horses for a long time, so it only makes sense that there is a whole day dedicated to them.
• Horses have played a big role in developing American culture. They are ingrained in our history. Whether you are a horse person or not, you have surely witnessed America’s love for her horses.
• Horses make our lives better. They are not only beautiful but also bring a sense of enjoyment, camaraderie and nobility into the lives of people across the world.
This is our most loved video around here. Happy National Horse Day. Enjoy!