Tuesday’s Horse has had loads of requests to move the weekly vegan recipe from Friday to Saturday. Probably should have posted much earlier though. Let’s try it anyway.
Meatloaf is a hot ticket item recipe. Everyone seems to love it, and many folks serve it weekly, often on a certain day.
There are two prominent types of vegan meatloaf: one made with lentils; one made with chickpeas. Here are two recipes our staff have made and given a big thumb’s up. Coming in at #1 is Jenné Claiborne’s recipe.
The Best Vegan Meatloaf by Sweet Potato Soul
by Jenné Claiborne of Sweet Potato Soul »
Jenné Claiborne at Sweet Potato Soul writes: “How do you make a delicious vegan meatloaf that has the perfect meaty texture and amazing plate-licking flavor? You use lentils.
But lentils alone will create a mushy meatloaf, and that’s no good. The secret to that meaty texture is mushrooms and walnuts, plus loads of diced and sauteed vegetables.
This is the only vegan lentil meatloaf recipe you will ever need!”
Tip: Be sure to follow the instructions to the letter.
- 1 cup dried green lentils sorted and rinsed or 2 1/2 cups cooked
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 10 ounces baby bella mushrooms minced (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- Red chili flakes to taste
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp organic ketchup
Next up. If you love chickpeas, here’s a meatloaf recipe where they are the star.
Best Ever Vegan Meatloaf
by Lena Abraham
:: Link to Chickpea Based Meatloaf Recipe at Delish.com »
Here’s cooking at ya. Have a great weekend.
TUESDAY’S HORSE © FUND FOR HORSES