ADVOCATE FROM YOUR PLATE — It is so hot. We are so busy, talking, talking … talking! And we haven’t had a vegan recipe here for ages. Boy do we need something cool and refreshing and tasty. And here it is. How about you?
Banana Chai Smoothie Parfait
A deliciously frosty, naturally sweetened, and lightly spiced smoothie parfait topped with crunchy granola, fresh blueberries, chopped apricots, and maple syrup. Serves 2.
Author: Brittany at ilovevegan.com
Banana Chai Smoothie Parfait
5 frozen bananas
1 cup chai tea ice cubes (directions in notes)
2 tbsp coconut cream or coconut yogurt
1 tbsp almond butter
6 pitted dates
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
1 pinch cinnamon
1 pinch dried ginger
maple syrup (Pure Infused’s Lavender Chai is a great way to enhance the chai flavour!)
MEMORIAL DAY — Annie McGee, writing for One Green Planet, has had her shares of ups and downs making veggie burgers over the years and so have we. There are many tried and true recipes but McGee takes that extra step for us.
(1) The Base. Start your base with a good plant-based protein or a steady starch.
(2) Add Veggies. Add low-moisture veggies first. Carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, root veggies, beets, and so forth, roughly chopped.
(3) Add a Binder. About a 1/2 cup to 1 cup of oats, bread crumbs, prepared quinoa, leftover rice, etc. Alternately, you can use a few tablespoons of binders like flax meal, chia seeds, or hemp hearts.
(4) Kick Up the Flavor. Add some nutritional yeast, garlic, seasoned salt, pepper, freshly picked herbs, or whatever strikes your fancy. The flavors and flavor pairings are pretty much endless. Tip: For a fresh-0ff-the-grill BBQ taste, add some tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, molasses, and liquid smoke.
(5) Add Final Textures. These are items that should be mixed in by hand, and not processed. Some of the things are too wet and might ruin the texture, some have flavor notes that would overpower the rest of the burger. Examples are apple chunks, jalapeños, blueberries, pineapple chunks, roughly chopped onion, and bell peppers.
(6) Shape and Bake. Preheat your oven to 450°F. Form the batter into patties — you should have anywhere between 8-10 — and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes, flip, and bake for about 4-6 additional minutes.
Are you thinking, yeah, but what about the fun of being outside waiting for food fresh off the grill with that outdoor flavor?
Grill vegetables such as potatoes, sweet corn, yams or mushrooms and onions. Wrap them in foil and away you go.
Still not completely doing it for you? Get some totally terrific ideas from these links.
FRIDAY FEAST DAY — It’s Friday. We’ve had a long hard week.
Let’s pep ourselves up by taking a look at a recipe from The Iron You for a totally delectable feasty treat certain to titillate your taste buds. And make you a most beloved guest when you arrive with them your next get-together. Oh. It’s quick and easy too.
We never want to come off as sounding preachy. It’s just that it’s so cool to be Vegan and has such a huge impact.
Yes, the above recipe is Vegan. There is no more effective way to protect animals, the planet and yes, you too, than taking up this wonderful lifestyle. Results are 100% guaranteed and it’s something you do every single day — eat. In whole or in part, you are changing the world for the better every single time you choose a Vegan diet.